Thursday, January 14, 2010

FT17 tank build part 2, May/June 2007 turret

I spent some time comming up with a practical way for me to build an all metal turret for the FT17. The real tank came with either a 1 piece cast round turret or a later octagon steel plate turret. I knew that the plate turret was the one I could recreate out of what I had available to me.



An actual FT17 turret.




I had already welded on the turret ring base to the body frame of the tank. I came up with a way to attach the turret frame to the lower ring with fabricated tube roller bearings. This would allow the turret to rotate but also keep it from lifting off as the tank drove accross uneven and bumpy terrain.


I simply cut up scap tubing into lengths that would fit together in the basic shape of an octagon base for the turret framework.
By welding tubing together in time I was able to come up with a strong frame that plating could then be bolted to. I had to check my work to see that there would be enough headroom for the driver.
Of course there would be some sort of cannon in the turret. Its a tank!
I welded a chain around the circumferance of the upper ring for installation of a turret rotation drive later.
After all the steel plating was cut out of the old truck dump bed, shaped, bolt holes drilled out, attached to the frame with carrage bolts, etc. I painted the turret to match the rest of the tank body.
Hoisting heavy turret into place.
Rolled it outside to get a better look at the results of alot of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment